Platform 1: Hobby Electric Remote Control Car
Project 3a: Cameras (Machine Vision)
More of a software/computer engineering project, it is much harder to implement on a mobile vehicle. For the teams that are interested, the following considerations must be kept in mind:
· Such a software platform is most easily developed on a computer-compatible system, compared to an embedded system;
· The choice of cameras, is, of course, of the highest importance (performance vs. precision vs. goals vs. cost);
· The algorithms and libraries are available, but many hours will be necessary for proper integration;
· The outputs should be formatted in such a way as to be readily communicated to the other devices (i.e., byte-level commands).
· Research existing machine vision filtering and navigation techniques;
· Research, assess and select machine vision software;
· Design a functional model of the software;
· Assess the performance of various cameras (resolution, fps, color adjustments, etc) and software filters (processor use cost, time delay, memory use);
· Implement a machine vision filtering and navigation solution.